Best Mattress for Sex in 2018 & Beyond – Expert’s Buyer Guide!
Just because a mattress is comfortable to sleep in does not mean it will be a comfortable choice for more intimate shared bedroom activities. In order to make your shopping process easier, we’ve reviewed a number of mattresses that are highly recommended for their quality, comfort, and “discreet” durability.
Part of the process for new couples moving in together is choosing a new mattress that will go on their shared bed. Couples mattress shopping generally consider three important criteria:
- First, is the mattress large enough to accommodate you both comfortably when sleeping at night?
- Second, will it fit the bed frame or bed platform that you have chosen or that one of you already owns?
- Third, and probably least discussed of all three criteria, is whether or not the mattress is comfortable and accommodating for sex.
10 Best Mattress for Sex - Comparisons
Avena, Memory Foam
Best Mattress for Sex in 2018 - Reviews
1. Casper Sleep Mattress
With their outstanding reputation for high quality sleeping surfaces, Casper’s Sleep Mattress in King size is sure to be accommodating of even taller and broader couples who like to spread out when they sleep.
The 4-layer foam construction provides support for comfortable sleep, breathability for keeping things cool, and bounce for retaining shape and durability even under vigorous use.
King size mattresses are great for intimate encounters with your partner since there is less risk of anyone “going overboard” thanks to the wider and lengthier dimensions of this mattress. Not to mention that having extra space makes warm weather sleeping far more comfortable if you prefer to sleep separately as opposed to close together.
The foam used in the construction of this mattress uses open-cell hypoallergenic latex for enhanced breathability, offering superior cooling even with heavier mattress covers and high thread count sheets. Furthermore, Casper also offers a 100 night free trial with free returns within 100 days of receiving your mattress. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, Casper will cover the cost of your return.
- 4-layer foam design provides support, comfort, breathability, and durability
- Mattress ships in a compact box that is easy for one person to move by themselves
- No pillowtop or quilting
- No stitched carrying handles
2. Brooklyn Bedding Latex Mattress King
A beautifully appointed King-size mattress that is fit for its namesake, Brooklyn Bedding’s Latex Mattress Firm provides a premium quality product that is guaranteed to provide you with decades of comfortable sleep support, as well as plenty of support for other nocturnal activities.
Available in three styles for every sleeping preference (firm, medium, and soft) this mattress features 2-inches of extra-supple Talalay Latex to provide both support and molded comfort for any sleeper.
Additionally, there are a further two inches of Dunlop Latex that provide an ideal transition from latex to the core support layers of the bed. Due to the patented layered core design, this mattress will hold its shape for and provide durable support for years even under the most extreme of conditions.
This American made mattress is ready to help you get a good night’s rest every night, or f you aren’t interested in sleeping, it is perfect for spending the night with your partner between the sheets.
- Multilayer latex foam for superior comfort and support
- 2-inch Talalay latex foam top
- 2-inch Dunlop latex foam between upper layer and cores support cells
- Mattress is rollable for easy storage and transport
- Comes rolled in an easy to transport mattress box that can be reused again and again for storage or relocation
- No pillow-top or quilted-cushion top
- No memory foam top layer
- No stitched carrying handles
3. Lull 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The largest mattress one can purchase without having one custom made, Lull’s 10-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress in California King-Size is possibly one of the most luxuriant mattresses money can buy.
Featuring three layers of advanced sleep technology designed to provide firm-yet-form-fitting comfort for any sleeper, this enormous mattress also gives couples plenty of room for adventurous rolling in the sheets without fear of running out of room.
The premier feature of this mattress though is the absolutely mind-bogglingly comfortable gel memory foam top. Every time you stretch out on this mattress, the top immediately molds to fit the contours of your body, even adjusting as you roll or shift to find a more comfortable position.
Few other mattresses can provide the experience Lull’s Gel Memory Foam model delivers in terms of luxuriant comfort and support. Granted, you need quite a spacious bedroom to accommodate a California King bed, but the sleeping experience with vast amounts of space to spread out without disturbing your partner is well worth the larger footprint.
- 3 highly advanced cell compression layers to provide luxury support
- Gel memory foam mattress top provides contoured comfort to conform to your boy as you sleep
- 100 night trial with free returns
- No stitched carry handles
- Memory foam mattresses tend to be a little too soft and provide too little bounce for comfortable sex
- California King-size mattresses are difficult to fit into most bedroom floorplans.
4. Leesa Mattress, Queen
Designed to provide both support and bounce with minimal motion transfer, Leesa mattresses provide an excellent compromise between memory foam comfort and latex foam support.
This model comes in the ever-popular Queen size for convenience and economy of space regardless of the floor plan of your bedroom.
The mattress is stable enough to keep even the most adventurous and vigorous couples comfortable during their intimate encounters, yet soft enough to be perfectly comfortable when you need to get a good night’s sleep.
Leesa’s mattress also holds the highest rating for a Direct-to-Consumer mattress in the United States, and the manufacturer has continued to uphold this reputation as they have expanded and grown in the last few years.
The best feature overall for their Queen-size mattress though is absolutely their Avena patented foam material. Not only is it more durable and firmer than latex, but it also absorbs vibration far more effectively. This means that if you or your partner are a more active sleeper, it transfers less motion to their side of the bed.
- Top rated direct-to-consumer mattress
- Unique Avena foam outperforms latex foam for durability and bounce
- Specially designed to minimize motion transfer, preventing restless sleepers from disturbing their partners.
- Still not as responsive as an inner-spring design
- Not as conforming as standard memory foam
- No quilt top/pillow top
5. GhostBed 11-Inch Latex and Gel Queen Memory
This exceptionally comfortable gel-memory foam layered mattress offers its best performance in the Queen size and up.
The top layer of natural latex foam provides comfortable contours for your body. Additional comfort and support derive from the 2 inches of gel-infused memory foam beneath the top layer, minimizing the creation of pressure points and shifting to properly conform to the natural contours of your body.
The core layer for support is a densely packed foam latex that definitely delivers the goods when it comes to support and minimal motion transfer. As far as how good of a mattress it is for sex, this mattress does provide exceptional support and durability.
However, in terms of comfort during coitus, it falls a bit short due to its lack of bounce and the more mushy responsiveness of the gel-filled memory foam layer. It is by no means uncomfortable or awkward in terms of fell or function, but some couples may not find the feel of this mattress their particular favorite in terms of feel during their more intimate encounters.
- 1.5 inches of soft premium latex top
- 2-inches of gel-infused memory foam for ultimate contoured comfort
- Super dense core support foam provides both stability and rigidity necessary for balanced performance.
- Some couples may find gel-memory foam uncomfortable or strange feeling for sex
- Top feels soft and pliable, but this mattress is fairly rigid below the top layer, which can aggravate existing problems with one’s body such as back and neck pain or hip pain.
6. Tuft & Needle Queen Mattress
A manufacturer that takes great pride in both their quality of build and long term comfort, Tuft & Needle is one of the better known direct-to-consumer mattress producers.
Their signature mattress is their Queen-size model, an adaptive foam top affair that is guaranteed to breathe and support far better than any memory foam mattress.
Better still, this mattress is engineered to sleep cooler, allowing you and your partner to enjoy deep restful sleep even after you’ve heated things up in the bedroom for the night. The premier feature of this mattress has to be its supportive bounce, as few foam mattresses offer this level of firm support and yet feel so soft once you’ve been resting on them for a short time.
The amount of bounce and support also provide a far more stable platform for getting intimate with your partner, as well as an exceptionally comfortable surface to rest on afterwards.
- Exceptional bounce and support for a foam mattress without an innerspring system
- Significantly cooler sleeping surface thanks to innovative design
- More comfortable and supportive than memory foam mattresses
- No quilt top/pillow top for added softness and comfort
- No stitched handles for easy maneuvering
- No innerspring support structure
7. The Eve Mattress
Self-proclaimed as “The World’s Most Comfortable Mattress”, The Eve has been custom designed and painstakingly crafted by some of the best mattress specialists and leading experts in sleeping surface design.
Using only the best available luxury memory foam that provides both high resilience self-conforming comfort in the same California King-sized mattress.
While most foam mattresses tend to be too cushy or not hold up as well over time due to the nature of the latex foam support cores, The Eve defies every expectation regarding durability and bounce. When it comes to quality of build for intimate encounters, The Eve is similarly a standout performer, providing both top quality comfort and dynamic support regardless of your intensity level, making it ideal for the adventurous and the reserved alike.
In addition to its exceptional value as a luxury mattress, The Eve can also be rolled conveniently and placed into its original transport box for storage, moving around your home, or moving from your old home to a new one.
- Ultra-luxurious memory foam designed by leading experts in the sleep surface industry
- Firm and comfortable with plenty of bounce
- 100 night trial with free shipping and returns
- No quilt or pillow top for added comfort
- Memory foam is considered by some to be inferior to other sleep surfaces
- No innerspring structure for added support
8. GhostBed 11-Inch Twin-XL Latex & Gel Memory
For those with more limited floor plans or who want additional bedroom space, GhostBed makes their luxuriant 11-inch Twin-L latex and gel memory foam mattress.
The gel-filled memory foam top instantly eliminates pressure points while sleeping for a uniform, super-soft sleeping surface that molds to fit your body.
It also has significantly less transfer motion thanks to the unique properties of the gel-filled latex foam layer, making it harder to disturb your partner if you or they are a restless sleeper. As far as quality for sex is concerned, this mattress provides exceptional durability and resilience while still maintaining just the right amount of bounce.
Additionally, thanks to its foam support cores, this mattress is also cool and breathable, making your sleep comfortable no matter what prevailing temperature or weather. Best of all, this Twin-XL size mattress can easily be rolled up for moving and storage, making it an excellent choice for travellers and college students who move frequently.
- Premium latex top layer provides self-contouring comfort
- Secondary layer of gel-infused memory foam helps minimize or eliminate pressure points while you sleep
- Exceptional bounce and resiliency despite having no inner spring coils
- No quilt top or pillow top
- No stitched side handles
- Some users find memory foam to be less comfortable and slower to respond than other mattress foam surfaces.
9. LUCID 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress
A popular Queen-Size option with a combination of latex comfort foam and high density PU-foam for added support, Lucid’s 10-Inch model is a solid performer that provides exceptional comfort and value.
The top comfort layer is instantly responsive to the contours of your body, re-molding its shape to eliminate painful pressure points while sleeping.
For those interested in the Lucid’s performance during amorous escapades, you can rest assured that this mattress has plenty of support and bounce without losing its soft, comfortable feel for after you are both spent.
It also rolls up to make for a compact, transportable package whether you are storing it away temporarily or moving it to a new home. If you are looking for an excellent value mattress in Queen-size that delivers great performance both for sleeping and for sex, the Lucid 10-Inch Latex Foam Mattress definitely deserves consideration.
- 3-inch latex comfort layer for soft, comfortable sleeping
- 7-inch high density PU foam support layer for exceptional support, durability, and bounce
- Ships rolled in a box for easy transport and setup.
- No stitched handles for easier carrying and placement on a bed frame
- No gel-infusion or memory foam layer
- Only 2 layers as opposed to the typical 3 for most foam mattresses
10. Best Price Mattress 12-Inch Memory Foam
Want Queen-Sized comfort that provides exceptional value for the money? Best Price has you covered with their 12-inch memory foam mattress.
With three individual layers to provide comfort, pressure relief, and support, this mattress is sure to provide every sleeper with a comfortable night’s sleep with plenty of room for you and your partner to sleep comfortably.
Additionally, the memory foam top layer minimizes motion transfer, making it easier to share a bed with a more active sleeper. Furthermore, this mattress provides an ideal platform for intimate occasions, offering plenty of support and bounce for any level of intensity.
It also remains stable and doesn’t shift as easily as comparable mattresses, requiring fewer periodic readjustments depending on your bed’s configuration. If your mattress priorities are value versus cost, comfort, and versatility, it is difficult to find a better mattress than the Best Price 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress Queen.
- 3 layers of foam to provide comfort, support, and durability
- Elegantly designed pressure relief system keeps you comfortable and pressure point free while sleeping
- US certified product
- Memory foam tends to have less bounce than comparable mattresses with a gel-filled support layer
- No quilt-top or pillow-top
- No stitched handles for easier adjustment and moving
Best Mattress for Sex: Things To Consider
Naturally, a mattress shouldn’t be considered solely based on its performance during coitus, though it is an important point well worth considering when shopping for a new mattress as a couple. Here is what to look for in a quality mattress that is suitable for sound sleep and great sex:
How long did your last mattress last? As a general rule, it is a good idea to replace a mattress every 8 or more years, but that rule doesn’t apply to every mattress ever manufactured. Some mattresses can far exceed the 8 year timespan, while others may feel like they need to be replaced sooner.
If you frequently feel restless, wake up in pain, or generally do not sleep through the night on a regular basis, then it may be time to replace your mattress. If you are noticing that your intimate moments with your partner are causing pain in your back, knees, or shoulders, it may also be time to consider replacing your mattress.
There are numerous varieties of mattress to choose from, and deciding what is best for you as a sleeper and a lover can be a daunting process However, here is a brief listing of what to choose from, as well as what makes them best for sleep and sex:
A combination of innerspring coil mattresses, latex foam, polyurethane fam, and various other materials to provide the ultimate support, comfort, and bounce. Tend to be a bit pricier, but also have a longer lifespan in general. This should be most people’s go-to mattress option.
All-latex foam mattresses are cool and comfortable. They also tend to provide excellent responsiveness, superior comfort, and exceptional breathability. These are a good compromise between more expensive hybrids, innersprings, and memory foam mattresses that can feel a little too form fitting and deep for some sleepers.
These mattresses are best for those who like the “full body hug” mattress due to frequent pain while sleeping on other mattresses. Memory foam mattresses conform to your body and eliminate pressure points as you sleep, while also keeping you comfortable. Memory foam does have a tendency to be less breathable and cool than other mattress types, but newer models and tech have significantly improved this problem in the past decade or so.
You want to decide in advance how much you can afford to spend on your mattress broken down by monthly cost over a mattresses average lifespan of 10 or so years. Here are a few other things to think about when determining your budget as well:
1. Higher Price Does Not Equate to Higher Quality
This especially true when shopping in a brick-and-mortar location
2. A Budget of $1,000 is The Magic Number
That breaks down to a cost-to-own of roughly $100 per year, and allows you to choose from more luxurious options that are more likely to meet your needs.
3. Estimate Higher for King/California King Sizes
All that extra real-estate comes with a higher price tag. If it is something you really want though, plan accordingly.
4. Don’t Get The Cheapest Mattress Out There
Budget mattresses can provide some high quality products for less money, but generally if you are spending less than $500 on a Queen size mattress you are buying a sub-par, low quality product that will not last as long.
5. You Get What You Pay For
If you want a quality mattress, you are going to spend at least $1,000 for anything that will last 8-10 years or longer. Spending less often means you will just be spending more for another mattress sooner.
Overall, choosing a mattress as a new couple does require considering many features and options that depend on your individual preferences. Like many choices in a relationship, this one will be about compromise: what are your needs versus your partner’s needs? Looking at the mattresses in this review, we firmly believe that the best value overall is the Leesa Queen-Size.
This latex foam high quality mattress provides comfort and support for sleeping and for sex, and it offers the best overall value of features with the fewest drawbacks. If you and your partner are shopping for a new mattress for your shared space, definitely check out the Leesa Queen-Size.